Browse Items (19 total)

  • Tags: Railroad

Idana, Clay County

Idana.png
Idana is a small community with a large heart for its church and people. In 1887, the Idana Presbyterian Church began and has remained strong ever since. The church’s centennial in 1987 brought people from Idana back home, traveling from as far as…

Ramona, Marion County

ramona.jpg
Ramona, Kansas was founded in 1887 as a stopping point on the Rock Island Railroad outside of Herington, Kansas. Ownership of the land Ramona is located on dates back to the Spanish occupation of the southern regions of North America. This study…

Hoyt, Jackson County

hoytMain1900.jpg
Hoyt, Kansas, started out as a small town where farmers took cattle to transport them on the railroads back to eastern markets. Despite all of the terrible events that have plagued Hoyt throughout its history, the town is still a thriving part of the…

Early Chapman, Dickinson County

early chapman.jpg
This study of early Chapman and the Sanborn Lumber Yard in Dickinson County, Kansas, includes a map of the county, an interview, and photographs of the Sanborn Lumber Yard.

Hiattville, Bourbon County

Hiattville.jpg
Hiattville was once a booming town, its population increasing from 50 to 500 in the 1880s. Many residents left after a 1905 fire, and the post office finally closed in 1986.

Bigelow, Marshall County

Bigelow-Broxterman.jpg
This study examines the unique factors that influenced the development, progress, and eventual destruction of the lost community of Bigelow. This study includes fieldwork of the former town site, photographs, scholarly journals, and historical…

Wilsey and Helmick, Morris County

Helmick.jpg
The author used an accumulation of fragmented information collected from local contacts and historic documents to create a comparison between the twin towns of Wilsey and Helmick, Morris County, Kansas. She used census reports, plat maps,…

Niles, Ottawa County

niles.jpg
The tiny town of Niles, originally Arcala then Nilesville, located in the Lincoln Township of Ottawa County, Kansas was first settled by families traveling in fifteen covered wagons from Illinois. They arrived in 1866 and although not as strong as it…