Browse Items (15 total)

  • Tags: Lost Towns

Walsburg, Riley County

Walsburg.jpg
Swedish settlers founded Walsburg in 1866, naming it after nearby Walnut Creek. A small Swedish community grew there for decades. However, after the Union Pacific Railroad left town in 1935, Walsburg declined and became a lost community.

Tipton, Mitchell County

Tipton.jpg
William A. Pitt and fellow settlers from Trier, Germany, first settled near Carr Creek, but flooding encouraged them to relocate to the top of a nearby hill. They called their settlement Pittsburg and, later, Tipton.

Swedesburg, Clay County

Swedesburg.jpg
Swedish immigrants established the first homestead in what became Garfield Township in 1868. Churches provided the foundation of the Swedesburg community, which overcame the Great Depression, both world wars, and a 1973 tornado.

Seward, Stafford County

Piland_Seward.png
Drawing from Timothy F. Wenzl’s work “A Quasquicentennial History of St. Francis Xavier Parish: Seward, Kansas,” various documents located at the Stafford County Museum, and interviews with proud Seward, Kansas (and area) residents, this document…

Prairie Band Potawatomi Indians in Mayetta - Jackson County

McCollum_Pottawatomie.JPG
This study of persistence factors on an Indian reservation in Northeast Kansas includes interviews from Prairie Band Potawatomi Tribal Council member Carrie L. O’Toole (Wabaunsee), Prairie Band tribal member Laveda L.T. Wahweotten, and Dr. Eric…

Navarre, Dickinson County

Navarre.jpg
Navarre was organized around the school, the church, and starting in 1887, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad. Fire destroyed much of the town in 1939, and it never recovered.

Murdock, Kingman County

Murdock.jpg
Murdock, Kansas, started out as New Murdock in 1884 and underwent a name change in 1910. Today Murdock is a quiet community of about 375 residents.

Holland, Dickinson County

Holland.jpg
Families in Holland, Kansas, a Dickinson County town seven miles south of Abilene, sought to form a community that could provide a education for their children, respite from the continuous toil the soil required, and, eventually, a structure to…

Hiattville, Bourbon County

Hiattville.jpg
Hiattville was once a booming town, its population increasing from 50 to 500 in the 1880s. Many residents left after a 1905 fire, and the post office finally closed in 1986.

Dillon, Dickinson County

Dillon.jpg
Today at what used to be the center of the town of Dillon are three houses and the Dillon Elevator. This is what is left of the town of Dillon, which once had a population of over 1,000.