Browse Items (15 total)

  • Tags: Lost Towns

Diamond Springs, Morris County

DiamondSprings.jpg
Diamond Springs first began as a supply point on the Santa Fe Trail, but proslavery forces destroyed it in 1863. After the Civil War, settlers from Illinois founded a new Diamond Springs about three miles south of the original site.

Bloomington, Osborne County

Bloomington.jpg
The town of Bloomington, Kansas, started out as Tilden in 1870 and received its name change three years later. At its peak, around 1930, Bloomington had seventy-five residents and boasted a bank, grocery store, telephone company, restaurant,…

Prairie Band Potawatomi Indians in Mayetta - Jackson County

McCollum_Pottawatomie.JPG
This study of persistence factors on an Indian reservation in Northeast Kansas includes interviews from Prairie Band Potawatomi Tribal Council member Carrie L. O’Toole (Wabaunsee), Prairie Band tribal member Laveda L.T. Wahweotten, and Dr. Eric…

Seward, Stafford County

Piland_Seward.png
Drawing from Timothy F. Wenzl’s work “A Quasquicentennial History of St. Francis Xavier Parish: Seward, Kansas,” various documents located at the Stafford County Museum, and interviews with proud Seward, Kansas (and area) residents, this document…

Walsburg, Riley County

Walsburg.jpg
Swedish settlers founded Walsburg in 1866, naming it after nearby Walnut Creek. A small Swedish community grew there for decades. However, after the Union Pacific Railroad left town in 1935, Walsburg declined and became a lost community.