Browse Items (15 total)

  • Tags: Lost Towns

Colony, Anderson County

Colony.jpg
Originally called Divide, the town of Colony began as a tavern and later a depot on the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston railroad. In the early twentieth century, it was known as the "Hay Capital of the World."

Bloomington, Osborne County

Bloomington.jpg
The town of Bloomington, Kansas, started out as Tilden in 1870 and received its name change three years later. At its peak, around 1930, Bloomington had seventy-five residents and boasted a bank, grocery store, telephone company, restaurant,…

Prairie Band Potawatomi Indians in Mayetta - Jackson County

McCollum_Pottawatomie.JPG
This study of persistence factors on an Indian reservation in Northeast Kansas includes interviews from Prairie Band Potawatomi Tribal Council member Carrie L. O’Toole (Wabaunsee), Prairie Band tribal member Laveda L.T. Wahweotten, and Dr. Eric…

Seward, Stafford County

Piland_Seward.png
Drawing from Timothy F. Wenzl’s work “A Quasquicentennial History of St. Francis Xavier Parish: Seward, Kansas,” various documents located at the Stafford County Museum, and interviews with proud Seward, Kansas (and area) residents, this document…

America City, Nemaha County

Hermesch_American City.jpg
This study illustrates the lost town of America City in Nemaha County, Kansas, from its hopeful founding to its imminent decline. Originally built at what would become the southern edge of the county, America City’s history exhibits an almost perfect…