Newbury, Wabaunsee County

Newbury Town Band

Title

Newbury, Wabaunsee County

Subject

Newbury, Kansas: "Built by Faith, Destroyed by Progress"

Description

The land was bought from the Pottawatomie Indians by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad and sold to German immigrants for a profit. The township of Newbury was established in 1868, and the town bearing the same name followed soon after. The towns history follows a series of disappointments of poor water source, lost county seat, and the railroad bypassing them. The Catholic Church remains in service to the rural area.

Creator

Thomas Haynos

Publisher

The Chapman Center For Rural Studies

Date

Fall 2011

Rights

The Chapman Center For Rural Studies

Relation

Kansas State University, Department of History

Format

pdf, 1.2 MB

Document Viewer

Geolocation

Citation

Thomas Haynos, “Newbury, Wabaunsee County,” Lost Kansas Communities, accessed September 19, 2017, http://lostkscommunities.omeka.net/items/show/29.