Riley County

Riley county was one of the original 33 counties created by the Territorial Legislature on March 8, 1855. In 1852 Camp Center was established near the junction of the Smoky Hill and Republican rivers. In 1853 the fort was renamed Fort Riley. The fort has been the major influence in the county's history. Today it is the home of the U. S. Army's First Division. (Kansas Historical Society)


FORT RILEY, c. 1895. Looking from NW of present day Main Post, this picture shows the housing of Forysth and Sheridan Avenues. Credit: Fort Riley


Chapman Center for Rural Studies